Wednesday, December 5, 2012

First post/introduction & a tell you what's up with this

Well, I might be nuts for starting this at all, considering I've been behind on updating on Elite Prospects all season, but in the end I finally decide to start this off.

Thought I'd include a bit of an EP disclaimer as my description in the following paragraph now dwarfs the rest of it, badly... haha! Anyways, here's that:

We on EP, kind of speaking for everyone in a sense, are a player stats/transfer database site and with our work are not only out to gain a following of viewers but to help support the players, teams & leagues we're updating along with be a complete, or as complete as possible (as we're still always adding tonnes of stuff to the site), hockey stats database website, and a place where people can find an as complete as possible player history of all teams/stats player for/available and in no way are out to 'steal' stats from these leagues we update.

This blog will include a hodgepodge of all leagues and areas I work on on Elite Prospects and will include a focused emphasis on the following:
  1.  Alberta Junior Hockey League (Jr A, as most reading this will know) - my posting on the Hockey Talk AJHL forum, especially the Callups, reserves & assignments thread that became my own personal project/page there, has mainly led to me to start this endeavour) which I update on EP/the forum daily - I do all this stuff about the AJHL for free though, but if the league ever offered me a paid job for the work I have done and will continue doing in keeping people updated on it and promoting the league, I'd definitely appreciate it, and accept!;
  2. NHL (if it actually starts up before the 'end of the world' - I personally like the list of predicted apocalypse failures on Wikipedia.. haha!) which I was updating as my only daily updating before the lockout, along with many bi-weekly leagues updated including the following:
  3. Manitoba Junior Hockey League (Jr A) which I update stats for every 2nd Wednesday and will be after posting this and updating the AJHL simply because I was 13 days behind on league updating (partly thanks to a recent twitter obsession and my posting on the AJHL forum) and will just have a '2 week reset' as I call it, and start off the following 2 weeks sitting at one day ahead (as even though it's now past midnight and officially 'Wednesday' - it's not for me as I haven't went to sleep yet... haha!);
  4. Ontario Junior Hockey League (Jr A) which I update every 2nd Sunday;
  5. Superior International Junior Hockey League (Jr A - NW Ontario and parts of the nearby US states of Minnesota & Wisconsin), which I update every 2nd Monday along with
  6. Allen Cup Hockey (Senior AAA in southern Ontario), which I also update the same Monday as the SIJHL;
  7. Central Canada Hockey League (Jr A, in and around metro Ottawa - formerly CJHL and CHL Tier 1 for one season I believe) which I now update every 2nd Tuesday (used to every 2nd Friday but they're busy AJHL days);
  8. Manitoba Major Junior Hockey League (Independent Jr A) which I have been aiming to get updated every 'other' 2nd Wednesday... but have yet to get enough free time to get the 2011-12 stats for the league fully updated on EP, let alone the 2012-13 stats and rosters;
  9. Heritage Junior Hockey League (Jr B - S and C Alberta) which I update every 'other' 2nd Sunday;
  10. Northwest Junior Hockey League (Jr B - Peace Country of NW Alberta & NE British Columbia - basically my real 'home league' as I've mainly lived/grew up in the area though as some that will see this know I am a huge Grande Prairie Storm/AJHL fan) which I update every 'other' 2nd Monday along with
  11. Northern States Hockey League (not exactly sure what level it is, as it's a new Junior league in the 'northern states' of the US - a league player and father of another, kind of messaged me a lot about it so I decided to take it on) which I also update on the 'other' second Monday;
  12. Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League (Jr A) which I update every 'other' 2nd Tuesday, along with the
  13. Western Hockey League (Major Junior - as if anyone reading this wont know.. haha!) where I no longer update but have been adding in trades/transfers not posted based on the usually Tuesday releases of WHL Weekly Reports from the WHL.
  14. Also intend/hope to get to updating the Alberta Midget Hockey League (AMHL - Midget AAA) & 
  15. British Columbia Major Midget League (BCMML - also Midget AAA), but I've got to get other stuff done and caught up on before I'll dare getting into those 2... but I sure wish I would have gotten them up by now...

    I do a huge amount on EP... but I definitely don't do everything, so a person cant assume if something is out of date or anything, that it was my fault. If anyone comes across anything out of date or needing an update/addition though, let me know as well!
Some may, and most wont know - I also formerly updated well... every Junior A 'main'/CJHL league in Canada for a couple seasons I believe, prior to a staff member from BC joined to take care of the BCHL (a guy by the name of Brian Wiebe, as some of you may know who also worked for the Merritt Centennials for years and now continues to run his Brian's Banter BCHL blog), another from Northern Ontario who now updates the NOJHL (Northern Ontario JHL - Jr A), a couple of French Canadian of guys (mainly the one now) who now take cake of the LHJAAAQ/QJAAAHL (Quebec Jr A), and a guy from Cape Breton who tries to update the MHL (Maritime Hockey League - formerly MJAHL which we still use on EP as we also have an MHL in Russia that gets updated regularly). We had a guy show interest to help out with the MHL but went MIA by email, shortly after. I also used to update all the major junior leagues at some point - WHL, OHL, and QMJHL/LHJMQ; the Greater Metro Hockey League (Ontario - Independent Junior A); and originally started on EP back in 08 I believe, updating and working on the main German (DEL) and Czech (Czech Extraliga) leagues, prior to German and Czech staff members. If anyone has the time and interest in joining Elite Prospects as a staff member, definitely let me know as well.

As some may also know, I go by @Jayrox28 on Twitter. Twitter for me used to be, just a place to retweet NHL trades and the odd Jr A ones I was able to track down on there when unable to track down a team/league/quoted media release of one. Then in the past few weeks I've kind of got obsessed with it, though have got that under control a lot better the last few days. Am following just about everything or everyone hockey related (besides players, as most don't seem to reply to tweets from the general public) on there, besides what I cant read in other languages, though may click follow for them eventually as well - give them some support and maybe gain a follower as well hey.

As I have listed on Twitter, I also am 'Jack of all trades'/Backup for everything' in the GP Storm press box, besides play-by-play (though would probably help out Jeff Henson if he ever offered/needed - his old blog he had on the Storm, and Brian's BCHL blog kind of are part inspirational for this blog as well - kudos to them both! I've already jokingly referred to myself on Twitter as the "AJHL's Brian Wiebe", so maybe this blog will solidify that position/reputation... hehe!). Definitely been a great opportunity for me, since former GP Storm business manager Don Moon brought me aboard on the same day I fully got moved in my new home here in Grande Prairie, August 31st. Met a lot of great people, definitely re-entered the world a lot, and became very involved with the Storm and Storm Booster Club. I've kind of felt like I've become a bit of a team/booster club ambassador, as since mid-October when I finally bought a jersey, anytime there's a Storm game (home or road) people around GP can see me wearing the jersey and huge GP Storm Booster Club pin, with pride.

As I also said on the AJHL forum late last night, about the idea of starting this blog:
I don't know everything there is to know, and hope I never claim I do... haha - but I've come to learn a lot and I deal with/update a crazy amount of NA leagues at all sorts of different levels. I may be a huge Storm fan, but I purposely am very unbiased, and as people on the forum here have got to have noticed - I'm very serious and thorough about what I do, though joke around at will. I guess what I'm saying is that - through being a huge fan, I'm a huge fan of the AJHL hockey as a whole - so it'd be a perfect fit.

And a last little note, as I posted on my Facebook account the other day:
~>Well that's just awesome - got 285 FB friends now (it's been higher and lower depending on if was currently obsessed with some FB game... haha), 28(.5) seems to be my #, and I'm currently about 28.5 years old (born March 4th) & it's the BEST I've felt in ALL MY LIFE!

And all the while before realizing this, I was listening to my "birthday brother" Buck 65: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_65

28 for me started off kinda rocky and rough, but 28.5 (as of about Sept 4th...

only 5 days after my first night here since moving) - is going to really be the prophesied greatest year of my life!

I started this blog exactly 3 months after hitting 28.5 (Dec 4th - yesterday to most of the world... today still for me, as I said above), on purpose. Now let's see if starting this blog was a good great idea, or a totally nuts one considering how busy I keep and how I've been so far behind on work on EP... haha

Game on! Only have to be up in around 10 hours, so best get to work tonight already. (As soon as I hyperlink in a good 20-50 sites, that is... haha!)

Oh yeah... thought I'd also mention - I post transfers on EP too... by the thousand... literally! Over 34,000 since record keeping started May 5th/08.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to drop me comments, unless you're a spammer then it will be deleted - which is the main reason why I've started comment moderation. Besides that I'll likely approve just about anything, unless it get's obscene or such.